Saturday, April 26, 2014

How to make your own Nepali tea [chai]!

Nepali milk tea [Masala chai]



Here is a simple recipe for Masala Chai, a popular drink in Nepal and other Asian countries. Nepalese often pronounce it "Chia." There are many different variations of this tea--here is mine!

Makes 3 small cups of tea or 2 large cups.

What you need:

  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup milk [I use 2% cow's milk but you can try almond/soy milk or nonfat versions]*
  • 2-3 whole cloves [optional]**
  • 1 whole cardamom [optional]**
  • 2-3 tea bags [black tea--I use Lipton] 
  • Pinch of cinnamon [optional]
  • Sugar to taste [I generally stir in 1 heaping teaspoon into my mug]

*The ratio of milk to water is based on personal preference. Some people use the same amount of milk as water for a creamier taste. My directions are based on using 2% milk. I would probably increase the proportion that is milk if I were using nonfat/skim milks. Experiment and see what you like!

**If you're not sure what cloves and cardamom look like, see below.


Directions:

  1. Put water, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon [if desired] into a cooking pot. 
  2. Turn the heat to high and bring the water to a boil.
  3. Once the water boils, pour in milk. Keep watching the pot as the milk will rise and can overflow.
  4. Once the milk rises, you can turn the heat to low and let the milk simmer for a creamier taste. Or, you can turn off the heat at this point.

  5. Pour the foamy water-milk mixture into 2 or 3 mugs. 
  6. Add sugar to taste [I use a heaping teaspoon for my cup of tea].
  7. Add a tea bag to each cup. Let it steep for 1-2 minutes, then remove the tea bag. Serve and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment